Homes and living, Melbourne
The Royal Commission held a public hearing in Melbourne from Monday 2 December to Friday 6 December 2019.
The public hearing inquired into homes and living for people with disability in Victoria and particularly the experiences of people who have lived or are currently living in group homes.
The scope and purpose of the public hearing was to inquire into:
- the right of people with disability to choose their place of residence, including where and with whom they live
- how the group home model emerged and its impact on the housing options and the experiences of people with disability in Victoria
- the causes of violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of residents of group homes in Victoria
- the effectiveness of laws, policies and key government agencies to protect residents with disability from violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of residents in relation to group homes
- social inclusion options for living independently and alternatives to the group home model.