Commonwealth Letters Patent
- Letters Patent
ELIZABETH THE SECOND, by the Grace of God Queen of Australia and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth
The Honourable Ronald Sackville AO QC,
Ms Barbara Bennett PSM,
Dr Rhonda Louise Galbally AC,
Ms Andrea Jane Mason OAM,
Mr Alastair James McEwin, and
The Honourable John Francis Ryan AM
The Honourable Roslyn Gay Atkinson AO
WHEREAS, by Letters Patent issued in Our name and entered in the Register of Patents on 4 April 2019, We appointed you (the initial members):
- The Honourable Ronald Sackville AO QC; and
- Ms Barbara Bennett PSM; and
- Dr Rhonda Louise Galbally AC; and
- Ms Andrea Jane Mason OAM; and
- Mr Alastair James McEwin AM; and
- The Honourable John Francis Ryan AM;
to be a Commission of inquiry, required and authorised to inquire into certain matters, and required to submit to Our Governor-General a report of the results of that inquiry, and recommendations, not later than 29 April 2022;
AND WHEREAS it is desired to amend Our Letters Patent;
NOW THEREFORE We do, by these Our Letters Patent issued in Our name by Our Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia on the advice of the Federal Executive Council and under the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Australia, the Royal Commissions Act 1902 and every other enabling power, amend those Letters Patent:
- by appointing you, the Honourable Roslyn Gay Atkinson AO, to be an additional member of this Commission of inquiry; and
- so that those Letters Patent apply to you in a corresponding way to the way those Letters Patent apply to each of the initial members who is not the Chair of this Commission of inquiry; and
- by inserting the following paragraphs after the paragraph "AND We appoint you, the Honourable Ronald Sackville AO QC, to be the Chair of the Commission." in those Letters Patent:
"AND we direct that the Chair be responsible for ensuring the effective, orderly and expeditious conduct of the inquiry in all its facets.
AND, without limiting the generality of the immediately preceding responsibility and as required during the conduct of your inquiry, We further direct that, other than making recommendations arising out of the inquiry and reporting on matters within these terms of reference, the Chair is authorised to give binding directions to, assign duties or functions to, or restrict the duties or functions of, other appointed Commissioners."
IN WITNESS, We have caused these Our Letters to be made Patent.
WITNESS General the Honourable David Hurley AC DSC (Retd), Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia.
Dated 13 September 2019
By His Excellency's Command