Counselling & support
There are services available to support you through any difficult feelings you might be having because of the Royal Commission. Some of these are provided by the Royal Commission. Others are provided by independent, external providers that have been funded by the Australian Government.
Blue Knot Foundation offers free, specialist counselling support and a referral service for people with disability, their families and carers, and anyone affected by the Disability Royal Commission.
Call Blue Knot Foundation’s national hotline on 1800 421 468 (9am - 6pm AEST Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm AEST Saturday, Sunday and public holidays).
If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, call the National Relay Service on 133 677 and give 02 6146 1468 as the number you want to call.
If you require support in another language you can:
- call Blue Knot Foundation’s national hotline and ask for an interpreter, or
- use the free Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National), by calling 131 450 and asking to be connected to Blue Knot Foundation’s national hotline on 1800 421 468.
Support when attending a public hearing or private session
The Royal Commission has a Counselling and Support team made up of social workers and counsellors who will be present during community forums, public hearings and private sessions. They can provide counselling and support to people at these events.
Other useful contacts
Complaints Mechanisms for People with Disability
NDIS Appeals Services
NDIS Appeals has been set up to ensure that all people with disability, and other people affected by reviewable decisions of the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA), have access to support when seeking review of those decisions in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT).
To make a request for internal review of a decision:
- telephone the NDIA office on 1800 800 110
- email email@example.com
- post a written request to:
Chief Executive Officer, National Disability Insurance Agency
GPO Box 700, Canberra ACT 2601
Disability Advocacy Finder
Disability Advocacy Finder is an online tool to help you find NDIS Appeals providers and disability advocacy agencies across Australia.
Complaints Resolution and Referral Service
The Complaints Resolution and Referral Service (CRRS) - to discuss any concerns you may have about your Disability Employment Services (DES) provider, Australian Disability Enterprises (ADE) and/or Advocacy Services that are funded by the Australian Government, contact CRRS 9:00am to 7:00pm AEST and AEDST Monday to Friday, excluding national public holidays.
To make a complaint:
- telephone 1800 880 052
- telephone the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 for a free-of-charge translator or interpreter
- telephone the National Relay Service (NRS) on 1800 555 677 then ask for 1800 880 052 for callers who are deaf or have a hearing impairment
- submit an Online Complaints Form
Department of Social Services Complaints
The Department of Social Services (DDS) Complaints line is available to have your complaint escalated from the Complaints Resolution and Referral Service (CRRS).
To contact DSS Complaints:
- telephone 1800 634 035
- fax (02) 6133 8442
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- post to DSS Feedback, GPO Box 9820, Canberra ACT, 2601
- complete an online complaints and enquiries form
Legal Aid Complaints
Legal Aid complaints and compliments - complete a complaints and compliments form to submit your feedback.
NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission
If you have a concern about the quality or safety of an NDIS support or service, you can contact the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission (NDIS Commission).
To contact the NDIS Commission
- telephone 1800 035 544 (toll free) or TTY 133 677. Interpreters can be arranged
- telephone the National Relay Service and ask for 1800 035 544
- complete a complaint contact form.
For Western Australia complaints or compliments about a service provided by the WA Department of Communities, Disability Services
- telephone the Consumer Liaison Team (08) 5446167 5448333
- email email@example.com
- post the consumer complaint/concern form to Consumer Liaison Officer,
Department of Communities, Disability Services
PO Box 441, West Perth WA 6872
- complete an online form
The Commonwealth Ombudsman office can help people with disability sort out problems with Australian Government agencies.
Contact the office 9:00am to 5:00pm AEST Monday to Friday
- telephone Complaints on 1300 362 072
- telephone the Indigenous Line on 1800 060 789
- for Norfolk Island, telephone 1800 1354
- for overseas callers, telephone +61 2 6276 0111
The Australian Human Rights Commission
The Australian Human Rights Commission – regarding disability discrimination.
To make a complaint: