Skip to main content

Counselling & support

There are services available to support you through any difficult feelings you might be having because of the Royal Commission. Some of these are provided by the Royal Commission. Others are provided by independent, external providers that have been funded by the Australian Government.

Blue Knot Foundation offers free, specialist counselling support and a referral service for people with disability, their families and carers, and anyone affected by the Disability Royal Commission.

Call Blue Knot Foundation’s national hotline on 1800 421 468 (9am - 6pm AEST Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm AEST Saturday, Sunday and public holidays).

If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, call the National Relay Service on 133 677 and give 02 6146 1468 as the number you want to call.

If you require support in another language you can:

  • call Blue Knot Foundation’s national hotline and ask for an interpreter, or
  • use the free Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National), by calling 131 450 and asking to be connected to Blue Knot Foundation’s national hotline on 1800 421 468.

Support when attending a public hearing or private session

The Royal Commission has a Counselling and Support team made up of social workers and counsellors who will be present during community forums, public hearings and private sessions. They can provide counselling and support to people at these events.

Other useful contacts

Beyond Blue Support Service – phone 1300 224 636, webchat or email (24 hours/7 days) for free, immediate, short-term counselling, advice and referral services.

Beyond Blue immediate support

Lifeline Crisis Support – phone 13 11 14 (24 hours/7 days) or chat to a crisis supporter online (7pm – midnight/7 nights). This is a confidential service providing you with support for when you feel overwhelmed, for when you have difficulty coping, or are thinking about suicide.

1800Respect – phone 1800 737 732 Open 24 hours to support people impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence and abuse.