- 16 – 25 February (8 days): Public hearing 11, Brisbane – Justice
- 2 March (1 day): Public hearing 10, Sydney – Health care professionals – education and training (additional hearing day)
- Week of 19 April: Public hearing 12, Sydney – NDIS and service providers
- Week of 17 May: Public hearing 13, Sydney – NDIS and service providers
- Week of 7 June: Public hearing 14, Brisbane – First Nations and out-of-home care
- Week of 26 July: Public hearing 15, Sydney – Restraints in education
- Week of 16 August: Public hearing 16, TBC – The health and safety of women and girls with disability
- Week of 27 September: Public hearing 17, TBC – Employment
- Week of 1 November: Public hearing 18, TBC – To be advised
- Week of 6 December: Public hearing 19, TBC – Disability support workforce issues
- This calendar schedule is subject to change, including COVID-19 restrictions and does not necessarily include all activities and engagements that the Royal Commission will undertake. This calendar will be updated with additional details and/or changes as more information becomes available.
- The public hearing into long term detention and interactions with the criminal justice system experienced by people with disability, original scheduled for November 2020, will now be held from 16 February 2021
2021 Public Hearing Schedule
The Disability Royal Commission has released its public hearing schedule for 2021.
Public hearings are formal proceedings where witnesses give evidence about events and issues that are relevant to our terms of reference.
We hold public hearings to gather evidence about violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability.
All public hearings are live streamed on our website.
All hearings have live captioning and Auslan interpreters.
Hearings are held regularly.
- Public hearing 11 will be held from February 15 – 23 February in Brisbane. This hearing will be on justice.
- Public hearing 12 will be held in the week of 19 April in Sydney. This hearing will be on NDIS and service providers.
- Public hearing 13 will be held in the week of 17 May in Sydney. This hearing will also be on NDIS and service providers.
- Public hearing 14 will be held in the week of 7 June in Brisbane. This hearing will be on First Nations and out-of-home care.
- Public hearing 15 will be held in the week of 26 July in Sydney. This hearing will be on restraints in education.
- Public hearing 16 will be held in the week of 16 August. The location is to be confirmed. This hearing will be on the health and safety of women and girls with disability
- Public hearing 17 will be held in week of 27 September. The location is to be confirmed. This hearing will also be on NDIS and service providers.
- Public hearing 18 will be held in week of 1 November. The location and topic are to be confirmed.
- Public hearing 19 will be held in week of 6 December. The location is to be confirmed. This hearing will be on disability support workforce issues.
The full public hearing schedule is available on our website.
Every public hearing has live captioning and Auslan interpreters. Take a look.